Saturday, July 14, 2012

Mojave Desert and Blythe, California

         I don't understand how Jeanette's father is able to get away with everything he does. He gives Lori and Brian stars for Christmas and gives Jeanette the planet Venus. My parents would never been able to get away with that if I was 7 years old like Lori. With their father being able to convince them that they could claim a star, or a planet, it's hard to believe that they are so intelligent. When the family moves again, this time to California, the kids have to go to school and Jeanette's teacher quickly realizes that she is very smart for her age. All of the children are recognized as smart by their teachers. Because Jeanette is smart she is beat up by other girls in her class for being a "teachers pet." Soon after they moved to California their mother had another baby girl that they called Maureen. I don't know how that family will manage since they struggled to take care of three kids and now have a fourth. I would not like to have a life like the Walls family because they move again this time to Battle Mountain, Nevada. I can't believe that Jeanette thinks this life is fun. 

      I have decided that I would hate to be moving all of the time and never have an opportunity to make friends. The family still seems to be holding out the hope that they will find gold and strike it rich though I doubt that will ever happen and I believe the Glass Castle will never be built. I feel sorry for the children because this is the only life that they have known. They think moving around all the time is exciting because that is all they were ever told and that's all the ever experienced. In their new home they sleep in cardboard boxes and use ole industrial wooden spools for tables and chairs. The kids think that going to bed in their cardboard boxes is an adventure. When their dad loses his job instead of moving like they always have they stay but have to "make sacrifices" so the kids are forced to eat less.

No comments:

Post a Comment