Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Imagery

          Before I can go any farther I have to comment on the specific imagery that Jeanette uses while writing the book. On the first page she writes, "Her long hair was streaked with gray, tangled and matted, and her eyes had sunk deep into their sockets, but she still reminded me of the mom she'd been when I was a kid, swan-diving off cliffs and painting in the desert and reading Shakespeare aloud. Her cheekbones were still high and strong, but the skin was parched and ruddy from all of those winters and summers exposed to the elements." She uses the most effective words to describe what she sees so that I can see exactly the same thing. I could go on and on with examples of imagery throughout the book. I guess that's why she is a writer and I am a thirteen year old writing student.

No comments:

Post a Comment